The Manager, Operations is responsible for organizing and managing the daily functions of the operations department. The Manager, Operations is an expert in international logistics and shipping, supporting global logistics operations and ensuring seamless, on-time delivery of outbound and inbound product shipments. The Manager, Operations ensures trades are processed as requested per internal procedures, with a strong emphasis on maintaining the contract and staying within budget. The Manager, Operations is responsible for collaborating with other departments and outside vendors to ensure proper execution of trade.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Manages the day to day import/export activities to ensure problem shipments are addressed with customers, partners, international customs agencies, and/or carriers.
- Leads a team of Logistics Specialists to meet or exceed customer delivery schedule through the coordination for shipments via ocean, truck or rail to meet delivery dates.
- Negotiates rates as needed with contract carriers.
- Continuously reviews and analyzes current transportation and day-to-day processes for opportunities to improve quality and services; Proposes improvement projects.
- Meets with internal customers to identify opportunities and/or issues.
- Develops and strengthens relations with vendors.
- Compliance with all import/export and industry regulations
Required Skills and Abilities
- Gains and Uses Insight – Seeks to understand customers, suppliers or service providers and the market and applies insights to achieve business results
- Drives Innovation – Formulates innovative ideas and approaches to processes, systems or services; seeks and implements opportunities to improve, streamline or re-invent work processes; tries different and creative ways to deal with issues and opportunities.
- Delivers Flawless Execution – Actively manages work to ensure the right time and right price for all operations services; demonstrates passion for delivering superior results; strives to continuously improve processes, systems or services.
- Builds Value-Based Relationships – Identifies and cultivates internal and external alliances that lead to successful outcomes for the organization and its customers and suppliers; positions the organization for future success by identifying new opportunities through relationships.
- Envisions and Creates the Future - Creates a clear vision of the future of the organization; Creates line of sight between personal work and organizational outcomes; effectively communicates the destination to others; provides strategic direction and inspires others to action toward the destination.
- Unleashes Team Member Potential - Drives organizational results by enabling employees’ success by clarifying roles, managing performance, encouraging personal accountability, and supporting and facilitating development.
- Inspires Leadership - Builds for the future of the organization by developing, modeling and executing a people strategy to support the strategic vision of the organization while inspiring commitment to him or herself and the organization and setting an example for personal and organizational leadership
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of U.S. import and export regulations, foreign customs requirements, letters of credit, free trade agreements, and international shipping requirements.
- Knowledge of the Global Transportation and Distribution Industry.
- Knowledge and strong experience managing global carriers for temperature sensitive products.
- Knowledge and expertise in contract management in support of global transportation agreements.
- Strong problem solving, quantitative, and analytical skills.
- Strong negotiation skills to assist in optimizing transportation networks and negotiating optimum service and price agreements for Interra.
- Strong planning/program management skills with forecasting capabilities.
- Ability to lead and direct multi-functional teams.
- Ability to work in high stress situations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Team work and communication skills in a multicultural and multidivisional environment are required.
- Knowledge of MS Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Demonstrates commitment to the organization’s Mission, Vision and Values
- High School or GED equivalent
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- International logistics experience required
- Must pass reference and background check
- Language Ability: Spanish
- Bachelor's degree in transportation, international business, supply chain or related field
- 10 years of experience in international multi-modal transportation, contract management, or international supply chain